Search This Blog

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Appreciation & Acceptance

Do you know the power of giving thanks? There is something magnificent in the ability to accept your present circumstances and appreciate the blessings you do have. Regardless of your financial position, your employment status or the condition of your relationships; giving thanks for all that is good and right in your life can be an invitation for greater things to come. If you can not appreciate the blessings you have already received, you can not be open to receive more.

This is why the "Serenity Prayer" is such a powerful tool in recovery programs. Change is difficult and bad habits are especially hard to overcome. Asking God to grant the serenity to accept the things you cannot change; courage to change the things you can; and wisdom to know the difference can put you in a position to recognize opportunity. Being grateful generates hope. Hope is synomynous with expectation and therefore hope feeds desire. Desire motivates action. These are the basic principles behind the laws of attraction. When your thoughts are proactively positive, you can dream bigger. Your fears dissipate as your faith and confidence grows. You are no longer immobilized by the possibility of failure but are instead inspired to take hold of your future.

I like to start my day off by giving thanks for all things big and small. When I awake, I make a point to be thankful for every thing my eyes rest upon for at least five minutes before I get out of bed. It doesn't matter what the things are. So, if I open my eyes to see a fly, I say "thank you for the flies" or if I see my alarm clock, I say "thank you for clocks". This may seem a little silly but it accomplishes several things. First, everything on this earth is connected. If one piece of the puzzle is missing, the entire ecosystem (life as we know it) can go awry. For example, there has been a great deal of discussion behind the sudden demise of honeybees. It is speculated that cell phone usage and satellite transmissions could be interfering with their flight patterns thereby altering their life cycles. If there are no honey bees, what will be the impact on the world? How will the flowers get pollinated? What animals will be affected by no longer having a food source in honey? So yes, thank you for the flies. Another reason I give thanks in this manner is to make sure that I get up on the "right" side of the bed. If I have to say thank you for my socks, this will put me in quite a jovial mood. A smile will instantly appear on my face and I may even break out in a fit of laughter. I will definitely be ready to take on my day on a positive note. Furthermore, if I didn't have socks, my feet would be awfully smelly by day's end.

The bottom line is to be grateful for all things. Try to start your day off by giving thanks. It does not have to be a religious experience either. Just learn to be appreciative of whatever your circumstances are and you will find that you will live a happier, more fulfilling life.

Happy Living!

No comments: